INDUSTRIAL PROCESS STUDIO – Waste volume reduction
The goal of this practice is to provide students with as much real-world work experience as possible by involving them in a corporate industrial design project.
Divided in several groups, students have to cover all the profession in a company, from the idea developement to the final commissioning, passing trough design, assembling and programmation phases.
Although this practice could be applied in lots of study cases, this one is related to a waste volume reduction system
- Period of implementation: 40 Hours
- Country where the practice was developed : Italy
- Provider of the practice : APRO Formazione - Alba
- Targetg group: 17-19 y.o. students, EQF 4 level
How to implement the practice :
Students from mechanical and industrial automation courses were divided in groups, each group represents a different company.
The teacher gave them the assignement : a stakeholder company has to manage the city collected waste reducing the final volume. They need an automatic machinery where the filled materials are controlled, separated and finally pressed to reduce the volume.
The assignement for each “students company” were:
- - Think about a general solution
- - Develop the mechanical project
- - Develop the electrical project
- - Realize a prototype
- - Program the process controller
- - Test and commission the machine
A group of teacher finally evaluate the product with the help of the local waste service company.
- Mechanical design
- Industrial systems
- Industrial Safety
Main learning outcomes from the practice :
- - Working in team on a real-life process
- - Problem solving
- - Public speaking
- - Coordinating time and phases of work
- - Identifying and choosing the appropriate commercial products
- - Assembling mechanical/electrical parts
- - Identifying the integration between mechanical parts, electronic and programming solutions
- - Waste management
- - Environemental sustainability
- - Green transiton aspects
Needed/Suggested digital tools:
- 3D CAD
- PLC programming tools
- The practice was carried: : In Classroom or Lab
Critical points to shift towards STEM learning and solutions:
Students sometimes need their teacher help them to make the right connection between theoretical skills and their application in real study cases. The teacher doesn’t have to give the direct solution but help students to have the right mindset to reach the solution themselves.
Positive aspects of participatory learning :
- Fellowship among students
- Each student can give their contribution to reach the goal
- Less performing students can reach an higher level thanks to their classmates help
- Higher teachers satisfaction
Negative aspects of participatory learning:
Management requires more working time to teachers
Included green education (if any):
Waste management and recycling